Wednesday, 2 October 2013

FLOORCLOTHS


When you live with painted solid floors there is a certain point in autumn when walking around barefoot is no longer an option. The cold creeps up through the souls of your feet into your bones, slippers and socks become a daily must but a rug or two about the place is also a nice home comfort.

My search for the perfect rugs are eternal. I may find a pattern that I love but the size is all wrong and there are many that have stolen my heart but are just not in my budget especially with small children, wayward pigs paying the odd visit and the fact that I like to swap and change things so often.  I do favour natural materials such as coir and sisal as they are pretty hard wearing and I can take them outside & hose them down when needs be, these are my favourite ones are from One Village. They are pretty useless in the kitchen though especially for a messy cook such as myself and squished in food is a devil to shift.

My rug of choice for the kitchen would be a huge dandycord mat, those hard wearing woven plastic rugs that everyone had at their back door in the 1950's. They are ace because you can give them a good scrub and hose them down, I have a smallish one but haven't been successful in my search for anything larger.

With the days going shorter and the inevitable chill due to set in I decided to make a huge floorcloth for the kitchen. I have made a few smaller rugs and there is indeed a 'how to' in our book granny chic so I decided to think on a room size scale.

To keep it simple a simple painted canvas is what I have opted for. In order to get the width I bought a slightly lighter cotton as it was the wider than my usual canvas and I didn't want any seams or joins.

Its really important to prep your fabric as cotton such as this as it comes untreated and a piece this size wasn't up for being crammed in the washing machine. Hoisted up on the washing line I sponged it down with really hot water and left it there to dry.

Hemmed and corners mitred the only place I could lay it flat was the kitchen floor, tres tricky as the kitchen would be out of bounds for a few days but needs must. Then came the painting. I had toyed with leaving it in its natural cream colour and just varnishing but I felt that the weave was quite raised and a couple of coats of paint would help smooth things out. A rustle about in the paint stash came up with a couple of litres of emulsion called 'sugar snap' a rather nice turquoise green that I had bought in a DIY store closing down sale....but never really found its 'right place'. I got started.... hmmmm halfway in I knew it wasn't going to be but I ploughed on and hoped it would dry quickly so I could rid myself of this colour crime.



For some reason I seem to have really taken a dislike to too much colour in the house. Maybe its my age as the years start to tick away, a bit like my aversion to noise and any kind of tom foolery but pale neutral colours are the ones for me and sugar snap was not going to have its day, just the time it took to dry.


Many coats of varnish later and a handy dandy squirt of silicone sealant in strips across the base to stop it shifting about or indeed anyone breaking their necks the kitchen could be put back to rights and proper dinners were back on the menu...no more beans on toast.




2 comments:

  1. I love the color! Neutrals are my favorite, too! My home is full of colors that are earthen and natural.
    It is nice to see how you went about creating your floorcloth. I spied a design painted onto a floor and have been toying with the idea of painting a cloth for my own floor. The design is a tad busy ... but would be the only print anywhere in the room. Here is the pin, if you'd like to see.

    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/247909154460803946/

    Again, thank you for sharing! I'm loving following along on your blog. I can't wait to watch your 365 days unfold!

    - karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sugarsnap! My daughter has it in her bedroom, and I bought loads of hydrangea and did the hallway. I wish that DIY store was still in business... or that I had the foresight to buy loads more paint whilst I still could.

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for dropping by and leaving a comment...it does cheer my day when people say hello...