Wednesday, 12 June 2013

QUICK & EASY EIDERDOWN




Now mostly I have found that those with a penchant for all things vintage love an eiderdown...full of feathery goodness and covered in rather delightful fabrics...particularly hard to come by a really decent one that you wouldn't mind on the bed or pay a kings ransom for.
I have a few eiderdowns & bedspreads in my collection now but none that I would want to use regularly as bedding and that would stand up to my constant washing of the bedclothes....necessary when there is a dog in the house who choses to ignore the rules.

Pondering this matter I decided that making my own would be the answer but I didn't want it to take forever and a quick & easy fix was needed.



So armed with a cheap as chips 4.5tog duvet, some rather fancy fabrics, a wee bit of hand stitching and a mornings work this quick and easy eiderdown came to life.

Fancy a go well you will need the following

x1 single  duvet (if you fancy a vintage eiderdown experience then use a feather duvet)
fabric scraps
backing fabric 2m x 1.4m


  1. start by measuring the duvet, in the UK sizes are pretty standard and a single should be 135cm x 200cm  (unless you go to the blue & yellow shop) and then decide how you are going to stitch the front and make a template ( don't forget your seam allowances). Strips, squares, rectangle shapes whatever takes you fancy. Some will need a wee bit more planning than others and may begin on pencil and paper
  2. Cut you piece of backing fabric to size. I always use a 1cm seam allowance so for a single size duvet this would be 137cm x 202cm.
  3. Right sides together stitch seams leaving a gap on one size to insert your duvet. 
  4. Either overlock or zigzag you seams this will give them a little more strength. Press all you seams. top tip at this point, press open the seam allowance on your opening as it will give you a guide when you hand stitch it later.
  5. Turn to the right side and pop your duvet inside giving it a good shake, making sure corners match corners..
  6. Hand stitch up the opening. 
  7. Then depending on how you have patched your fabric stitch some anchoring stitches so that the duvet doesn't shift about in the cover. At each corner join for patches or a simple running stitch along the seamed strips...go with what looks best



I am rather taken with these summer duvets and have plans to make a sleeping bag...of course I will share that gem...

13 comments:

  1. Wonderful idea Rachelle, trust you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant idea.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic idea! I've been meaning to make some more patchwork; perhaps a cover for our bed. Any excuse for fabric shopping and more blankets! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous you make it sound so easy ... Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are beautiful. I love the fabrics you have used!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great idea, thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great idea! You have solved a much pondered upon question - thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoa, I never ever thought of making my own bedspread, let alone that it was possible to do it in one blog post. Would you be interested in sharing a tutorial for this on Kollabora, the crafting and DIY community? I feel like a lot of the members would have tried this before if they'd had any way to know it was this manageable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rachelle, I made one of your eiderdowns after seeing this post and have included photos in my latest post. http://smileattheflowers.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/tumbleweed-and-other-thoughts.html
    Your instruction were perfect and I really love my summer eiderdown.
    Thank you Rachelle.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for dropping by and leaving a comment...it does cheer my day when people say hello...