Monday, 11 March 2013

OFF ON A FISH & CHIP JOLLY

There is one thing above all else that I yearn for on occasions since we left the south east coast is decent fish & chips...I am rather picky over my fish, as the daughter of a boat builder I remember the poor times as a child that my Dad would come home with boxes of fish rejected by the restaurants because they were too big for the plate....the travesty of our fish situation now, it seems criminal...Anyway we ate very fresh fish, straight from the trawler for many a meal....not mentioning the fish skin in milk episode it will always be one of my favourite foods.

Well it is safe to say that all the fish & chipperies around us are rank...greasy soggy batter & mushy chips but a few miles up a rather nice road, over a hill and down a dale we found possibly one of the best chippies I have been to in my adult life.

In the small Yorkshire town of Hawes also home of wenslydale cheese there nestles this fine establishment, 'The Chippie' We have to drive there on one of our favourite roads in the Dales so another bonus.


On our last visit they had deep fried wenslydale but unfortunately none was purchased much to my disappointment....feel another trip coming on....



Even the drive home gives you a sense of calm especially as you are bursting out of your frock...



11 comments:

  1. A good chippy's worth it's weight in gold Rachelle! Luckily we have one nearby that people travel miles to ... Deep fried Wensleydale sounds fabulous xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never had the pleasure - but I might try frying some Wensleydale - if I can get my hands on some in Colorado!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm love both Wensleydale and fish and chips !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favourites is the chip shop on the square at Keswick. Walking home in the dark, lots of salt and vinegar and wrapped in paper. If it wasn't so late I would go and get a bag now!
    Great photos!
    Wendy x
    ps I was lucky enough to receive your Granny Chic book as a Christmas present. I love it and can heartily recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am fussy about my fish, and just as fussy about my chips. If you ever make your way to Kangaroo Island, try the fish and chips at Fish. Best in Australia. I think the woman who runs it came from England though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those onions rings look wonderful. I have had to make my own fish and chips in France. I never deep fried anything before. It's actually surprisingly satisfying if not a bit dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow: loving the views of your drive home. A good Fish & Chip shop is worth its weight in gold :-)

    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooooh yummy. I live in Wiltshire but am coming to the Dales in June for a week and won't be too far away from Hawes, I think there might be some deep fried Wensleydale in my future :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. fish and chips always taste better when eaten outside,,,,,,,luckily i get to eat mine looking at the sea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All this talk of fish and chips is making my tummy rumble!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mum and dad were both from Yorkshire and occasionally used to go up there specifically to get proper fish & chips when the yearning got too much for them. I loved them too until my dad delighted in explaining to me that the reason they tasted so good was that they were fried in lard.

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for dropping by and leaving a comment...it does cheer my day when people say hello...